Furniture retail is one of the fastest growing segments of e-commerce today. More and more e-commerce websites, including Amazon, are getting into the furniture selling business. You can also get a slice of the pie by launching an online shop on which to sell furniture.
Everyone needs furniture in his or her home or office. From doctors to college students, everyone could be your potential customer. This makes selling furniture online a very lucrative proposition. So, how do you get started?
How to sell furniture online
You can sell online anything these days, and this includes furniture. The simplicity of the technology today has made setting up a furniture e-commerce business very easy.
The business model for selling furniture online
To sell furniture online, you have the option of using the services of an e-commerce furniture marketplace or setting up your online store. A marketplace lets you sell your furniture products to a broad base. In return, the website earns a commission for every sale you make. Some markets even charge you for every listing you make.
If you want control over your business, you can set up an online furniture shop. Your shop should have the following features:
- Simple interface: You should be able to easily upload products, edit inventory, feature special sales, and so much more. Your customers should also be able to navigate with ease.
- Efficient inventory management: It should allow you to control your whole inventory efficiently. It should have the ability to track stock counts and stop product sales automatically when the inventory exhausts.
- Mobile interface: You should be able to run your business on your phone. From your smartphone or tablet, you should be able to update your products, store analytics, fulfill orders or communicate with your customers.
- Comprehensive Payment Options: adaptability is essential to run a successful furniture eCommerce website. Your store should allow customers to pay in more than one way. Provide them identified payment portals like PayPal Express to encourage trust in your brand.
Selling big items like home décor and furniture requires a little more effort and work. You need to get it right on a few things. These include:
1. Choose an e-commerce platform that is well built
To run a successful furniture e-commerce business, you need an e-commerce software platform that you can use without much technical knowledge. It should allow you to customize to provide a smooth user experience while maintaining your inventory perfectly. There are many reputable e-commerce platforms on the market today. Choose one that meets your needs.
2. Have a Clear Focus on the type of furniture you want to sell
There are very many opportunities in the furniture business. The range of products you can provide to your customers is limitless. If you want to succeed, however, have a clear focus on what you want to sell. You can deal with office and business furniture, various themes, decors, accessories and specialty items. Your choice may be in an attempt to meet a need that is not fulfilled by other furniture stores, or it may be a reflection of your own taste. Either way, identify a niche and focus on it.
3. Source your furniture from wholesalers with the best prices
When your store is ready, the next step is to source your products. Look for wholesalers offering the best prices. The advantage of selling online is that unlike setting up a physical shop, you do not have to build an inventory if it is out of your financial capabilities. You do not have to fill your warehouse with the products that you want to sell. You can source them on demand. Make sure you work with reliable wholesalers to make transactions as smooth as possible.
How to Sell your Used Furniture Online Fast and Easy
If you’re decluttering your home, upgrading your office or moving to a new place, selling your furniture is a headache. It requires you to put time and effort. While it is an opportunity to make money, the experience can make you feel like it is not worth the trouble. If instead of selling you prefer donating to charity, the rules about the minimum and maximum number you can give may discourage you. Selling the furniture online may be the best solution. It is easy, fast and most likely to provide you with the real worth of your furniture.
To make the sale stress-free for you, here is a list of effective strategies that you can use to sell furniture that you want to get rid of.
1. Look at the condition of your furniture
When you decide to sell your used furniture item, the first thing that you need to do is carefully examine its condition. Check for blemishes and determine how much life it has left. While it may work for you despite its imperfections, you must consider whether it is desirable for someone else.
Used furniture is definitely bound to have some blemishes. Buyers expect this. You just have to be upfront about it. As such, you should review the furniture objectively regardless of how much you love it and share details of any dents, chips, tears, stains or any other flaws.
2. Determine the price of your furniture item
After evaluating the condition of your furniture, you can then proceed to put a price tag on it. Putting a price on your furniture is an important step. You have to come up with a reasonable price. Consider the condition, age and furniture brand to calculate the depreciation of your furniture from its original price. You can use furniture calculator to calculate the price or any other pricing tool that helps people sell furniture online.
3. Pictures do matter so take great pictures of your furniture
Make sure that you take real life pictures of the actual item you are putting up for sale. The people buying the used piece from you need to catch a glimpse of what they are about to purchase. The used furniture market is built on trust, so you have to take pictures that depict the true condition of the item.
Before taking a photo of your furniture:
- Clean it thoroughly
- Remove all clutter from it
- Use proper lighting that accentuates its good qualities
- Take photos of your furniture’s front, back, and sides
4. Make a creative sales pitch that can sell furniture
You need to tell your furniture’s story. A story is a key driver for buyers of furniture that is not new. They need to know the furniture’s journey. If your piece has a unique and creative story, tell it with rich details. You can share a proof of the furniture’s authenticity, its brand, style, materials, color and anything else that you may consider important to the buyer.
5. The role of timing in selling your furniture
You have to consider the market trends when selling your furniture. These determine the price that buyers will be willing to pay for your item. It also influences how fast you will make a sale. For example, since people prefer to move during summer, used furniture is in great supply. This may not be an ideal time to sell your furniture if you want to fetch a good price from it.
6. Be proactive and keep tabs on your competition
You can post and promote your item on multiple online platforms to increase your chances of making a sale. Be on the lookout for pieces that resemble your item. This will help you in pricing and improve your furniture to make it more attractive.